View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zrod
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z-black 6speed
Zrod is on a distinguished road

I had a similar experience recently. I drove her into work not realizing a blizzard was gonna hit later in the day. This was the second time I got caught in the snow with her and I guess I was feeling confident with the roads looking kinda clear. So not wanting to pay overnight parking like an idiot I decided to take the gamble and put my summer tires to the test in snow once again lol. Getting out of the parking lot wasnt too much trouble I just used the patch of dry lot my car was sitting on to build speed then clutch in and roll over the snow to the next plowed spot. Once on the road it was mostly slush and ice at the time I just took it nice and easy till the tires got some heat(which took forever probably 20-30 mins).

Everything was going good till I got on the highway about 40 mins in when the blizzard hit full force. It kinda came outta nowhere as I was reducing speed even further I felt the car slowly drifting sidways at about 20 mph surronded by cars on all sides. I dont remb what I did but I somehow regained controll from a 45 degree angle without leaving the lane. Now at this point most ppl probably woulda gave up but being the dumb bastard that I am I couldnt bare the thought of ditching my baby on a highway side so I pushed on. After about 3 more sideways drift recoverys I finally made it to my town just to get stuck on a hill. At this point there were 5+ inches on the ground and my only option was to roll in reverse down a dead end and ditch it. I ended up getting plowed in on all sides about 4 feet high. It took me 2 hours to digg it out and luckily there was no dmg and she got home safe and sound. It was stupid to take the risk on so many levels next time for sure its staying in the parking lot no matter the cost! (unless I finally get snow tires). So take my advise dont do it.