View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Hey guys,

I'm helping my uncle start a new restaurant and I took on the role of making the menu. I'm thinking of buying the Canon T1i with the stock 18-55mm lens to take pictures of the food. Is the T1i with the stock lens a sufficient weapon of choice for this job? I'm assuming it will be more than enough for this role, but wanted your inputs. Macros is probably the only setting I'll be messing with. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tim
That camera kit is can handle the job ok, but to get really good images, you need to know how to light it properly. Diffused light is key. I would also buy a remote trigger. Don't use the pop-up flash,period! A macro lens is good if you want to shoot a single grape or tomato, but you will have to dial down the aperture to a higher f-stop to get everything in focus. A good telephoto lens would do a better job for product photography IMO.

If your new to photography, I would suggest some light reading. A while ago I bought Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book, Vol.3" which has a chapter on product lighting. His other volumes are worth the read for some insights into the basics. Your local library will probably have it if you don't want to spend the cash.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote