View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
DDonovan
Base Member

Drives: 07 Honda S2000 AP2
DDonovan is on a distinguished road

What is a Poker Run? Since I have been asked I thought I would basically explain a poker run and how it works, or at least how we did it last year.

A poker run is a rally that doesn't have anything to do with speed. Everyone starts from the same location and either travels as a group or single and heads to a common ending point (in our case Mt Washington Resort in the Comox Valley). Along the route there are checkpoints that each vehicle must get to. You are supplied with a detailed map but none of the locations are hard to find. For those that know the island they can take off as a single or as a group and head whatever way they wish. Those that don't know the island and want to have more of the scenic tour can go with another group that will have some local owners and we will take the ocean routes to the checkpoints.

At each checkpoint will be a deck of cards. Each car selects a card. If you don't like the card you get, you can pre-purchase "mulligan" tickets which allow you to exchange the card at the checkpoint and return the card you first selected. Mulligan tickets are purchased at the start of the event and you can only purchase 3 tickets. Of course you "draw" a card you don't get to see what it is until after you have it in your hand.

Once you get to the finish you should have 5 or 7 cards depending on how many checkpoints there are. From those cards you make the best poker hand you can and submit it to the event people. We have a nice sit down dinner at Mt Washington Resort (last year was BBQ Salmon and Corn on the Cob with a great selection of salads and other nice things). During the dinner you are encouraged to purchase tickets for the silent auction items with all proceeds going to Camp Shawnigan. After dinner we award the silent auction items and we then award prize money to the 1st, and 2nd, and 3rd place card hands.

After that we have the bar and the facilities until midnight and this year we may have a live Classic Rock band to perform for us. Rumour is there may be a bit of open mike as well if someone wants to start their new career!

Any questions, don't hesitate to PM me or fire me an email at dave.donovan@elocas.com

S2000 Forums -> ** Vancouver Island Poker Run 2011 ** : S2KI

Thanks and I hope you can make it out to this worthwhile event.

emot-tip-wink.gif

Last edited by DDonovan; 03-16-2011 at 12:30 PM.
DDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote