View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibul View Post
I'm debating...

I have (try to have) an annual run from Oklahoma to Michigan to see my family (I moved here 10 years ago)...

I'm debating on if I should take my Z on that long of a trip - I mean, would someone take a corvette on an 850+ mile, 12 hour trip?

I'd love to show it off, but, I also know how many bugs it will collect, and how many road-dings, etc it'll probably have by the time I return with it - and - I generally drive straight through, so it's 12 or so hours in the seat stopping only for gas and a snack.

I've thought about a radar detector to help decrease the time, but then again, I also don't want to get a ticket in another state (no chance of fighting it and the cops love to write down whatever...ask me how I know!)

The other option would be to drive our 2005 Honda Civic Sedan, which would be more than capable of handling the trip...

Thoughts?
Get a front-end bra; they work and they provide a lot of protection; I've used vinyl front-end bras for 30+ years; they are a bit of a PITA but if you want to actually protect your car they are well worth it. I have the Nissan branded one for my 370 and unlike the one they did for the 350, it's a quality product.

I am doing a 3,900 mile road trip starting Friday the 26th traveling from here (Nashville) to Amarillo to pick up Route 66 (which is where I left off two summers ago when I did the route from Chicago to Amarillo); then I'll take the route as far as Oatman, AZ, shoot up to Las Vegas for a couple of days then over to the Grand Canyon for a day before heading back.

My other car is an M45X but I'm taking the 370...the M is a good performing four door sedan and would certainly be comfortable but when it comes to having real joy in driving; it wasn't hard to pick the Z for my trip (since I don't need the room as I'm doing this trip alone this year).

So yes...take you Z...enjoy it (and show it off!).