View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
BGTV8
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z M6
BGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond reputeBGTV8 has a reputation beyond repute

YASI hit approximately 110km south of Cairns at Mission Beach which is around 1200km north of the areas in central and southern Queensland which were devastated by floods recently.

My niece, her husband and 2 small children were bunkered down in their house in Cairns in a relatively modern-construction house and their house remain undamaged although some water has seeped in thru windows. One older house in their street has lost its roof (which finished up in the local park, so it has not caused further damage as the winds moved it around). My 3-yo grand nephew thought it was cool - being allowed to be up in the middle of the night and having a "sleep in the corridoor" party (the corridoor that runs thru the centre of the house is the strongest/safest part of the structure to be in). The 6 month old infant slept right the way thru it (innocence of the young!!). Their parents are tired but it seems that the new building reguations since Cyclone Larry 5 years ago have meant that dwellings constructed since then have weathered the worst that nature can throw at them. Older structures have not fared so well.

There are reports of widespread damage in Mission Beach, Innisfail and nearby areas as this is where the eye of the storm crosseed the coast. There are some fantastic sequences on YouTube posted by a pair of New Zealand "storm-chasers" - I'll post a link later in the day if anyone is interested.

The emergency services and Australian Defecen Force personnel are now moving into these worst afected areas to kick-start cleanup efforts. As always in winds like this, basic infrastructure takes a belting, so initial engineering efforts will focus on electricity, water and other basic supplies.

Most importantly, no reports of injury or death, as a lot of official effort went into evacuations in the previous 24hours, together with constant information about where are the safest places to bunker-down if you don;t have to evacuate.

Yasi is now 200 km inland, travelling west by south west and has been downgraded to a Cat 3 storm, and is expected to travel a furthre 1500-1800km inland to the west before blowing itself out as a rain depression. The tendrils of the storm will dump rain in Melbourne (where I am), some 3000kms to the south, on Saturday - so this storm (as it dies) will cover a massive, massive area ...

I saw on the news this morning that mid-West and up into North and North East USA is now the subject of a monster snow-dump as well .... looks like the year for extreme weather events .....
BGTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote