View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Josh@STILLEN
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Josh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeJosh@STILLEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Why can't you get the factory rotors cut?
You can get factory rotors cut, but they need to basically be brand new. But picking up the factory rotors will also cost you and arm and a leg. Quality castings, rotor material, and the source of everything plays a huge role in what you get, and as others have stated, you're playing with brakes.. what stops your car.

Also just slamming a drill into a rotor is not the only thing that goes into these. I'll speak of STILLEN rotors as I obviously have intimate knowledge, but the steps we go through add cost to the final product, because it's done right.

- Quality castings chosen with premium materials, or at times we have our own castings made if we feel nothing on the market will be good enough.

- CAD-designed slot and drilled positioning, to ensure proper vane drilling, as well as precise and planned slots/holes to maximize pad wear (uneven hole patterns will leave huge high/low spots on pads.. all patterns are NOT the same).

- Special techniques and tooling required to radius chamfer our cross-drilled holes to minimize stress cracks, as well as ramp out our slots to eliminate pad buildup. Literally takes special proprietary bits to achieve these.

- Stripping and zinc plating the final drilled/slotted/J-Hook rotors, ensuring all areas of non-contact with the pad have maximum resistance to rusting, etc.

While we might be at a small premium for what we're providing, I can ensure you we do everything we can to produce a superior product, and keep the costs at a minimum. And there are a LOT in this industry that are doing anything they can to achieve just a price point..

Just things to consider.. and sharing my knowledge seeing our brake department in action..
Josh@STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote