View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
DDonovan
Base Member

Drives: 07 Honda S2000 AP2
DDonovan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Vancouver Island 2nd annual Poker Run for Charity

Just a heads up, I am starting to work on the 2011 Poker Run (2nd Annual event to raise money to send disabled children to Camp Shawnigan).

The date I am shooting for so we can have this event at Mt Washington once again is August 20th.

I am just starting to work out sponsorship and contacting those that helped us out last year. Ronnie (esstwothousand) has volunteered to help me out this year with the planning.

If your interested in attending this year I wouldn't mind if you could fire me a PM and let me know so I have an idea of the numbers. No commitment at this point, just need an idea.

Thanks S2Ki Community and Island Honda Dealerships for sponsoring the Event

(for those of you that missed it here is the link to last years thread/pics). Pics go from page 9 to page 14.
S2000 Forums -> *** Vancouver Island 2010 Poker Run *** : S2KI

I am planning a few changes to the format of last year's event. There were some logistical issues with using playing cards. As well some people that didn't actually play poker, didn't know what hands they had, and lastly, from what I understand, some people were exchanging cards between one another before turning their hands in.

This year to avoid all of this I am going to replace playing cards with a token that will have a number on it. If we have 50 cars registered, there will be 75 numbered tokens at each checkpoint, all in a bag. Each token will be numbered from 1 - 75 (again assuming 50 cars, there will be 25 more tokens than the total number of cars). When you arrive at a checkpoint you select a token and move on to the next checkpoint. At the end of the event you simply add up the numbers on the token and the highest number wins. We would probably have an award for the lowest hand as well (not sure yet which positions will get prize money).

Also there will be two types of participants, those that know the island and want to just get to the checkpoints and finish the route. They can go as a group or as singles. They just take off and do the route at their own pace. A second group will be those that want to see the island and take their time completing the route. Remember that speed is not part of the event, it doesn't matter how fast you finish. This second group will travel together and we will assign locals to this group. They will take the scenic routes along the water. When registering please let me know which group you see yourself in.

The event this year will be open to all Japanese Imports. If you don't drive a Japanese Import but would like to participate, contact me. If you have any questions please fire them PM me or fire me an email at dave.donovan@elocas.com

All proceeds from this event go directly to Camp Shawnigan on Vancouver Island. This is a special camp for severely disabled kids and terminally ill children. They try to squeeze some normality into the lives of some very special kids. It costs about $2,500.00 to send one child to camp. Some kids can't afford that with the added costs of their ailments. Help us to help them.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can make an effort to attend. If you wish to donate and cannot attend, contact me and we can find a way for you to do that. Thanks again and drive safe.

Dave Vancouver Island CO
Poker Run 2011 Organizer

--------------------

Dave Donovan
2007 S2000 GPW||1985e Porsche 944||1976 Fiat X1/9||'87 Yamaha FZ600
-Invidia N1V3||Bosch Iridium 4 prong spark plugs||K&N Intake||Type-R FD2 Shift Knob||IDA-x305 HU
-AUT CF Cooling Plate||T1R CF downforce side diffusors||Seibon MG Style CF Wing||KSport Coilovers
DDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote