View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
NXTAZEE
Track Member

Drives: 2010 370Z 7AT
NXTAZEE will become famous soon enough

As an owner operator of a detail business I have tried everything mentioned and more over the years. If you want a wax "Victoria Wax concourse" is imo the best wax money can buy. Victoria Wax also has a collectors wax that has better daily driver durability, link to site Victoria Wax - Wax - Paste. The Concourse I use on hot rods for car shows. Victoria Wax is one of only a hand full of waxes in the world which you can layer with multi coats. Multiple coats gives more of an exotic look and incredible depth to the paint. It is also easy to put on and take off with no white residue at all that will stain trim. Personally I like to use sealants for daily drivers as they provide longer life and durability over a wax. Bottom line is treat your beloved Z regularly with what ever wax or sealant you have to protect the paint.

As far as claying the paint goes, practice on a small area first so you get the hang of it, otherwise you may make a big sticky mess of your paint. It's not rocket science, as they say, just need a little practice. If you drive on the highway a lot then claying twice a year should be enough, other wise once a year is sufficient. If you want to remove swirls and scratches and restore a high gloss back to your paint, let a pro do it. It may cost a couple hundred, give or take, but the results will be worth it. And don't just take it to anyone, find a detailer that others have used and are very satisfied with. High volume shops are usually a bad choice. To properly perform a full exterior detail, which includes wash, clay, a one step machine polish and to seal or wax the car, will take about 5 hrs. If the car needs a multi-step compounding/polishing, add a couple of hours to it. I say this because most high volume shops will only spend a couple of hours on your car and make a mess out of it. They will then slather on a glaze to hide the mess they made so it looks good until it all washes away.

I would also like to add that the dealer paint sealant is about the biggest rip off there is. It is the cheapest sealant out there and only lasts about a month depending on how often you wash your car. I don't care what they tell you, don't buy it. Hundreds of dollars for 50 cents worth of product and a half hour of an inexperienced kid buffing your car, making an awful mess of it, is not a good investment imo.

Last edited by NXTAZEE; 06-16-2009 at 02:35 AM.
NXTAZEE is offline   Reply With Quote