View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
ol240z
Base Member

Drives: '71 240
ol240z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDZRVIT View Post
Me too. Four hockey pucks or similar cut with a slot accomplishes the same thing on top of a jack stand and is much, much cheaper. Although it looks like a great idea albeit expensive, I can see accidents happening if it's not properly aligned.
Another good point. But I'd be very careful about using hockey pucks with slots at the track or under hot temps. When hot they will distort and tear.
The ANSI standard (as I read it) requires that a pair of stands rated at 4000 lbs. would require the individual stand to hold 6000 lbs. ie the stands are rated at 4000 lbs. a pair but for ANSI standard the stand must hold 1.5 times the rated weight.
Also true that you have to align the stand with the cap so the cap is over the stand. However, both cap and stand surfaces are tapered to make the final adjustment and fit for you as the cap seats on the stand. (see picture above).
I understand your comments. I doubted it until I actually saw them in use and watched a couple guys trying to rock a car sitting on top of a pair.
ol240z is offline   Reply With Quote