View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK370Z View Post
Very good question. Nissan USA want you to take your car in for the first oil change at 3750 miles. I personally think that's way too long (for the first oil change). There are simply too many particles flowing around that can damage the internals. So, I did my first oil change at 2000 miles with regular oil at the dealer.

You should wait till at least 3000 miles before switching to synthetic (I switched at 3800 miles). Again some members here switched as early as 1200 miles but it's recommended to wait about 3000 miles.

Here's a discussion you can check out:
Does oil temp affacts to performance?
Thanks for the information. I'll probably look into doing the oil change myself at around 1750-2000 miles. Time to set the alarm interval in the 370Z's dash; I thought that's an awesome idea. Do you recommend changing oil every 3k miles? Mind you, I'll be doing moderate amounts of stop-and-go so I'm thinking every 3k, instead of 5k like most oils last for.

Maybe I'll go with Redline or Royal Purple, but since RP doesn't use ester base... well, Redline will do, even though it costs more than already expensive RP.

I also saw in your DIY oil change that you used magnetic bolts and a filter attachment; should I get those and apply them now? This car is so new I wouldn't be surprised if the oil filter came out with what seems like sand in it. I guess I might use a larger filter as well; experiencing high oil temps (around 220-240, once 250) and I read someone's thread on how his larger filter dropped temperatures dramatically.
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote