View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Unclemeaty
Base Member

Drives: 150cc Scooter
Unclemeaty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
if you can get $200 each for a cat converter... i guess that means you can make your entire living buying them brand new for 50-150 and then selling them to scrap for 200!!!
Not exactly. I tried this myself several years back. The aftermarket high-flow cats are more up against fair markets, while the OEM original cats are likely very strictly crafted for vehicles under EPA guidelines. If you go to your dealer, you'll likely find stock OEM cats potentially cost thousands of dollars, while aftermarket ones wil cost just a few hundred. The aftermarket ones are usually of much less quality and do not have the ammount of precious metals an OE cat would.

Some of the most valuble cats as scrap are those from a Rotary Mazda RX7 and then anything European like BMW or Mercedes. You could get over $250 fot cats off these vehicles. Aftermarket cats are worth practically nothing at a recycling place.

I'm not sure what our cats may get as for value, but I was thinking about this myself... If they are worth that much, one could almost buy new High-Flow performance cats and then pawn off the stock cats to break even.

Can you try selling one on eBay for "the team"?
Unclemeaty is offline   Reply With Quote