Thread: FK'D by Nissan
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #42 (permalink)
chubbs
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2016 370z Auto-Grey
chubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeatherman View Post
Guys, I want you to think of who works in our service departments. These guys are working their butts' off trying to do things the right way. Think about it... They probably can't even afford a Z because of what they get paid. I'm surprised they do what they do with what they get. We're lucky to get the service that we do. Do people make mistakes? Yes. I know I do. It's okay. Stuff goes wrong. If it didn't, we wouldn't be human. Have I had my share of bad things that went wrong with my cars? Yes. I'm just happy that someone helps me.
I just found this thread via the update thread.

I have to say Weatherman, that your post is missing the point. Yes, we all make mistakes on a daily basis (everybody knows this), so when you're trusted with maintaining a piece of 'life or death' machinery (a car) you should have systems in place that identify mistakes before it's too late. Even something as routine as an oil change can cause an accident if done badly.

If someone else in the workshop was instructed to check the tightness of each new oil filter and each sump plug it would take him/her about 30 seconds ...30 seconds that could prevent a catastrophe.

I speak from personal experience, because at my last Nissan 350z Service (P2) I drove out of the dealership and down the road to discover that I had NO BRAKES. As luck would have it I was travelling very slowly, coasting towards a stop light - I was able to use the gears, turn around and get the car back to the dealership. The mechanic (who, I was told was their chief/best mechanic) had forgotten to tighten one of the brake bleed screws (2 on each caliper) and fluid was squirting all over my front nearside disc & pads. I believe the mechanic is good and I know the dealer well - he's a good and honest guy. The problem was that nobody checked the simple, routine task of tightening the bleed nuts. If the traffic lights had been green I would have accelerated onto the freeway to test out my nice new oil - and then what?

What's the alternative to dealerships having proper safety checks in place?....

1. We check everything ourselves before leaving the dealership (unlikely), or

2. We pray to our respective gods.

I am very thankful that NotMy's experience hasn't ended in an accident - and I'm sure he'll be mentioning this tomorrow.

'03 Grey >>> '06 Black >>>'10 Silver >>> '16 Grey ^

Last edited by chubbs; 06-14-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: to change the reason for editing
chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote