Thread: Financing help
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #41 (permalink)
NCSUPACK09
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '10 370Z MB 6MT SP
NCSUPACK09 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to NCSUPACK09

I'll give you some advise being young (23 yo) and having a pretty good credit score (mid score - 741).

Here are the things that you can do now:
1. Get 1 or 2 credit cards (you'll take a small hit on your score because of the number of inquiries on your account due to your new loan and the CCs, but it will give you some amount of available credit). Just try not to get any new accounts for at least a year after you opened your last account.
2. Keep your total available credit utilization below 20% (if you only have 1 card, keep it below 20%, if you have 2 or more try to keep the % on each card pretty equal). This is a big part of your score.
3. I know that people say that its better to not pay your bill in full every month, but I think that its just BS that the CC companies want you to do so they can make more money. You can have a really good score paying in full every month
4. Make sure you pay your bills on time every month...its not tough to do, but it can really hurt your score if you don't.
5. Don't open several accounts at once. There are 2 reasons this is bad...1) You will take a hit on number of recent inquiries on your credit and 2) Your average age of your credit will decrease.

Here are the things that you will have to wait on:
1. Part of your score relates to the amount of accounts you have opened and closed in your lifetime. Right now you are young so you just haven't had a lot of chances to get credit and pay it off. One thing you should keep in mind is that a good mix of credit is always a good thing (revolving, charge cards, installment, and mortgage).
2. You need to keep your revolving accounts for a long time (don't close them even if you don't use them often). This will increase the age of your credit history and will help your score.