View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
diskreet
Base Member

Drives: 09 Audi TT
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute

Calling everyone who likes a manual a purist is like me calling everyone who likes an automatic lazy. A bit over-generalizing.

Petty bickering aside (sorry,) there are real advantages and disadvantages to both. The issue for me is with control. I want the car to do exactly what I tell it to do. I have never driven an automatic/automated manual car that gave me that much control, nor do I know of any. These transmissions provide the illusion of control, which is fine for soccer moms and posers. My sister, for example, would love one because it's a toy. For someone who wants to be in control, who wants to enjoy the car, who knows how to driver properly, the damn things always end up working against you.

If you really want to discuss the future of transmissions, then we are both wrong. Most likely electric engines will provide propulsion in future cars. Whether it's a generator like the Volt or a fuel cell like the FCX, electric engines make so much more sense for daily driven cars. Higher efficiency, next to no maintenance, full torque from 0 rpm, and operation ranges from 0rpm to upwards of 25k rpm, it all comes together to make a better solution than the gasoline engines we use today.