View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
cujo
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z Roadster
cujo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg78 View Post
I must say I like the color combo of your Z and the exhaust looks awesome. I'm lookin at the FI exhaust myself and I am curious if you could explain the sound from 70-75? My Z is a pleasure vehicle and I occasionally take it to work which I will cruise the interstate at 70-85 along with occasional weekend trips. Is there any drone? Where is the sweet spot as far as speed/rpm where the exhaust is quietest inside the cabin? I know this may be different for you in a vert vs my couple but just curious for your input.

I want a bit more grunt than stock but I don't want it to sound like rice.

Thanks
Thanks bro! Much appreciated! I think it’s based on individual tastes so you will need to hear it in real life to appreciate and determine your preference. Lots of guys prefer to rev it above 4,000 rpm so they can hear it scream. California cops are out to collect extra revenues so I’ve tried (very hard) to keep it low profile. On occasions, I’ll kick it up a notch when some kids try to race. For me, between 0 – 3000 rmp, it rumbles with an exotic, throaty sound, very distinctive, noticeable but definitely not loud…just like a caged lion that can’t wait to be unleashed. When you push it above 3000s, it begins to scream, similar to the soundtrack that you would normally hear from those exotic cars in Top Gears. My sweet spot is in the 3000 - 3500 range where it’s right between rumbling and screaming. At 70 – 80 miles (around mid 3500 rmp) is Sweeeeet indeed! Very distinctive, definitely noticeable by others, but not enough to drown out your tunes. Absolutely no rice at all! The sound is smooth from zero to redline. I think the major contributor to No-Drone is due to the 18” resonance pipes. Cabin sound, even on my roadster is just perfect for my taste, but like I said, you will need to hear it from one of the bros with FI installed to give it justice. Hope this helps.