View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
NotmyGTR
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z/Pearl 6speed
NotmyGTR is on a distinguished road
Default Nissan FK'D me Follow up

They called me at 7:30 this morning and a wrecker showed up at 8:15. Rode over to the dealer with the driver. Lots of azz kissing soon followed after arrival at the dealership. Put the car on a lift and looked underneath. Not only was there oil all around the filter base, but the pan plug was loose. Resume azz kissing at this point. Then after seeing oil all over, it hits me....WTF is that? A genuine nissan oil filter! I distinctly remember paying for a Mobile 1 filter yesterday, so why in the hell is that cheap sh!t installed on my car? Time to walk outside....smoke 3 cigarettes.... let them do re-work until I calm down. They drop the car off the lift, take it around the block and then put it back up on the lift for an inspection. Oil visible around the base of the filter again........WTF didnt we just discuss this.....sh!tty stock part oil filter AGAIN. Are you kidding me??? At this point I am pissed off to say the least. My next question is where is the manager? Dont want the damn express lube cashier manager either, walk over to the dealership and give me the damn boss.....NOW.

Manager shows up......azz kissing in progress again. My azz got more lip action this morning than most people get air to breath. Doesnt help though. Manager gets a Mobile 1 oil filter (Product # M1-110) and we look at it side by side to the OEM part. Gasket on the Mobile 1 is about 4 times as thick as the stock filter gasket, or O-ring, or whatever you want to call it. Install the filter, fire the car up while elevated, hold at 3K rpm for about 5 seconds, then idle for about 2 minutes. No leak. Finally fixed.

The overal repair dept. manager of course does not work on the weekend. I have an appointment on Monday at 11:30 to discuss this weekends events. Two points of interest here. Why did I pay for Mobile 1 products, but get the cheap product instead? And, if the stock oil filter is supposed to work, why does the stock one with the smaller gasket leak oil on my car? Is the mating surface not true? If I NEED a filter with a larger gasket, than something is wrong. I already conveyed this to them and told them to prep the boss Monday morning before I get there. I want my sealing surface checked, and if it not true, or within spec........I want a new car. To my suprise....they agreed.

Now, about this Mobile 1 filter. The M1-110 is twice the size of the stock filter. Designed for High Performance conditions. And yes before the question that seems to be inevitable on this forum.....ALL warranties remain in effect when Mobile 1 filters are used. Food for though as well with this filter. Its 92 degrees here today. On the way back I drove between 60-80 mph on the highway. With a brief stop off at a small private owned airstrip, I wanted to test the engine/oil system for integrity. Keep in mind, this is not a public road, this is an airstrip, so no innocent drivers or pedestrians in harms way while I exceed the speed limit. Ran a few trips up and down the strip ranging from 120mph to 140mph. Back and forth for about 15 minutes. No oil leaks, and most importantly, oil temp never made it above 225 degrees. I even did a couple runs staying in 5th gear to keep RPM above 6K. No problems with overheat at all. I am mentioning this because for those of you who have posted here about overheat problems and have not done a oil cooler mod.........try changing to this larger filter. Provides twice the flow capacity. Im not shifting gears and running through gears like you would on a track, but I was sustaining high speed runs and had no problem what so ever.

Beyond the B.S. I had to go through with Nissan, I hope this filter info helps some of you guys out.

Last edited by NotmyGTR; 06-13-2009 at 01:04 PM.
NotmyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote