View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubim View Post
Whatever the end design I use, it's best to test using the actual hardware the circuit will be driving. So, it's useful to have the bulb I'll be driving.

A 7440 bulb should not be difficult to procure in the US. A quick google search shows them available online for $3.

While a full blown PIC18 microcontroller could be overkill for this kind of project, an 8-pin PIC16 and a couple of transistors can make this a very small circuit leading to significantly easier installations. A flasher/relay circuit is also an option, and I can build one of those immediately.
Actually, my post was the bulb for the rear FOG light; not brake light.

I was looking online for that bulb as well and found several variants of a 7440; I didn't find an exact match nor did the end connectors look the same as the bulb that came with the rear fog assembly.

Of course for testing purposes, that's probably immaterial but if anyone is actually looking for an exact replacement it might signal some difficulty.