Thread: Cabin noise
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #97 (permalink)
RiCharlie
Track Member

Drives: 370 Touring Spt A/t
RiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really nice

I agree the 370 is a wonderful car but there is no doubt it is very noisy.. I collected a number of reviews that all tell what a wonderful car it is especially for the price...but quite a few mention this one negative..

Edmunds
Once underway, it's easy to get the most out of the 370's sharp performance. In terms of handling, this latest Z is the best yet, boasting tenacious grip and sharp reflexes. Its ride quality is also more civilized than the previous car's, making the 370Z a better choice for commutes and long drives. Sadly, it has an extraordinary amount of road noise, which could grow tiresome on such journeys.

Car and Driver
Finally—and this is the big one—the sticky Bridgestones double as megaphones. Boom, slap, echo, hiss, the swishing of water, the pinging of pebbles. You name a road-borne sound, and the tires can magnify it. Perhaps it’s the fault of paper-thin wheel-well liners, because neither engine nor driveline NVH find their way as effortlessly to your tympanic membranes. At idle and at wide-open throttle, the 370Z is louder than its forebear. We’d trade a couple of points on the skidpad in return for less racket and a slightly cushier ride.

Grassroots Motorsports
Any negatives? Yeah, sorry. Road noise on some surfaces is nearly unbearable.

Auto Blog
First, while the cabin is well insulated from wind noise, it seriously resonates from tire drone. At speeds above 70 mph, or on any unfriendly pavement, the roar nearly drowns out the audio system.

Cars.com
My Sport Package-equipped tester had more road noise than any car I've tested in recent memory. On anything but perfectly smooth pavement, the tires howl endlessly once you reach 40 or 50 mph

Inside Line
Good grief this car is noisy. I know we keep going on about it, but there's really not much else to dislike about this car - but it's damn near a deal breaker

Consumer Guide Automotive
Wind rush is not noticed, only because the engine and tire noise are so intrusive

But to end on a positive note.. this seems to be the only serious problem with the 370 and its easily fixed.. and most reviewers have plenty of other positive things to say along this line from Car Advice

When you stop to consider the 370Z’s price tag then what I’m about to say will begin to make a whole lot more sense: this is the best sports car on the market under $100K.

I totally agree!!
RiCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote