View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
AP - Chris_B
Base Member

Drives: Many
AP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeterbop View Post
Corect me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that the original purpose of the slotted and cross drilled rotors was originally to help with degassing. Back in the day when the pads would heat up the slots and holes would give the gas from the pads somewhere to escape which helped prevent a decrease in breaking performance. Also from what I've been reading, is that the slots still help keep pads clean, but the original reason of the slots and hole isn't really needed with pretty much any street pad any more and would generally be for looks more than anything else. Again I could be wrong and if so feel free to correct me. Also I'm assuming that since these fit the sport package equipped 370 it will also fit the NISMO model as well.
I am going to have to sit down soon and do a full, top/down write-up on this topic. In the meantime, I'll say that cross-drilling was developed initially a long time ago to reduce rotor weight. Benefits that were discovered were increased pad bite (more leading edges), better wet performance, (slightly) better cooling and elimination of pad off-gassing effects.

Pads today off-gas very little -- at least after their initial green bedding. But the other benefits remain. They are not ideal for racing or hard track use as the holes add stress risers, which can result in premature cracking. But for street and high-performance use, QUALITY drilled rotors usually perform great.

Looks? Well, that's up to you!
AP - Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote