View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #61 (permalink)
toxik
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 328xi, 96 300zxTT
toxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond reputetoxik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to toxik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLion View Post
Like most generalizations, this one is deeply flawed. The optimum performance for any car is acheived when the tires exactly match the road conditions. That's why people who race seriously have a set of track tires that would perform horribly on standard roads in bad weather.

Theoretically, all season tires can perform as well as summer tires. In practice some all seasons (like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus) do outperform many "summer" tires. The key is to consider what the car is intended to do. How many 370Z's actually need the level of performance the Bridgestone summer tires claim? If Nissan followed their own logic, only the NISMO would come with maximum performance summer tires. It's the Z Nissan says it intended for racing.

Most of the rest of us will find no performance issues with really good A/S tires. I swapped the Bridgestone Potenzas for the Michelins in October. Even on warm roads, the Pilot Sport A/S tires do better than the Potenzas on wet roads. I admit that I am not racing, but I do drive in a "sporty" manner much of the time. I live in an area that is frequently wet and has roads I can enjoy the speed and handling of my Z when I drive.

In my use, the Michelins stick better than the Potenzas. That's not to say on a track the Bridgestone's wont prove better. My point is that the Z has a special place in the sports car market. It is affordable by people who can't afford multiple sets of tires. Also, other sports cars come with A/S tires.

I wish Nissan would do the same for all but the Nismo.
Why would you want to force someone to get all season tires if they do not want them? If anything, let Nissan give everyone a choice of what tires they want on their car instead of force feeding all seasons. Most people here would go for the Summer tires, where as you would pick All Season tires....

Plenty of other manufacturers all put summer tires on their cars. BMW, Audi, all have car models that come with summer tires stock, and some of those cars are not considered traditional sports cars like the Z is.

I've had plenty of driving experience in all season tires, good brands too... and even if they are equal to summer tires, they are never better. And that's all that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
Dp'd by five ohs and I liked it...I liked it
toxik is offline   Reply With Quote