View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #55 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

Honestly, I've driven a car with snow tires (40% tread Blizzaks), all seasons (60% tread Hankooks), and summer tires (50% tread Fuzions).

Notice how they're all around half done for. I was driving them on about an inch of snow in a large parking lot and teaching my buddy how to drive manual in a 94 Impreza L with 280 whp. The center diff was welded to 50/50, and the only difference I found was that the Hankooks performed worse than both the snow and summer tires. They were probably just cheap ones, but they were all the same dimensions, 225's on various 16 inch wheels. Mind you, the L only weighs 1900 pounds, but I could drop the clutch in at 4500 and get grip faster than the Hankooks.

I've heard of some of the members here dropping 50 pound sand bags into the trunks of their RWD cars and getting decent traction. I can't remember exactly, but I believe m4a1mustang was one of those people.

It just seems the only good application of even the highest performance all seasons are dry highway use because they handle dry and heavy rain decently and work okay in the snow as long as you're driving slower than a senile retiree (if you're the slow driving kind and not the insane driving kind, no offense to our older members...).

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote