View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #52 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinhead View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by "normally". Obviously you can't Need for Speed on snowy roads in the winter like you can in the summer. Nor can winter tires even handle the power of the Z so you can't really push it without vdc kicking in. But slow and steady driving on snowed up roads has been just fine for me so far on michelin x-ices. In fact I seem to be doing better than most people on their all seasons with front wheel drive. So I definitely wouldn't call winter driving in snow tires unsafe, just boring.
VDC comes on when i drive with my snows, its doing its job. you have to drive cautiously, like you should be doing anyway in snow, unlike every SUV driving soccer mom who doesn't realize their braking and turning ability has greatly decreased.

The Z doesn't come with all season tires because all season tires are mediocre at everything. You get mediocre summer traction and terrible winter traction. i think you're better off with summer tires in winter, knowing that they suck in snow then with the false sense of security you have from 'all season' tires. all season tires work decently in snow on a underpowered FWD car with thin tires. on the Z the improved traction you get on snow is marginal at best when compared to a summer tire. Hence, let the car come with summer tires, and if you want to drive it in winter/on snow, you'll get a set of winters, instead of throwing some mediocre tires on it so that the overall driving experience is diminished.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote