View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenZ View Post
On the old Mercedes ( not sure about the new models) you can cut a tennis ball in half, place over the lock cylinder and pop it. Doors will unlock. My old boss did it to his benz. Looks like I'll be adding Compustar to my Z.
It works only occasionally on a few Benz's that used vacuum operated locks. Older Jaguars are vulnerable too, but it's really not much to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismoracer View Post
Saw this coming years ago. If they can unlock your car or start it from a simple phone call to OnStar and the operator just hits a button from thousands of miles away, you gotta figure there's gonna be thieves who want to take advantage

Yep, but very few would-be thieves know enough about what's happening to take advantage. A well set up crypto system would do wonders if you wanted to prevent it, but realistically, anyone who is bothering with sniffing the RF waves to get into my car can just have it.

Like always, dedicated people with the right setup can snag anything. Most people don't care enough about your 370z to go through that effort.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote