Thread: Malibu cruise
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #1172 (permalink)
christian370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 370Z/Saab 900se
christian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R390 View Post
better leave really late in the day say like after 11am, I did this the day after the snow dropped back there and snow was back there all the way down to the 3k level, most of it should be melted away, frankly what you guys plan to do is not only risky but very dangerous. If you have new tires and not bald tires should be ok.

once you get out of Ojai and head back up past the 1st crest on that section you will encounter black ice, once near the abandond biker bar there will be ice there in the morning, after that once you get near the top depending how cold it was the night before there is ice and gravel laid down right before the summit, and mostly the sun shadow areas will most likely be icy.

lockwood valley road there will me multiple muddy stream crossings and if your worried about your car this is not a place to run a cold air induction set up nor take your after market rims through.

I did this on tuesday in a mazda 3 to check the roads out and when I was done with it the mazda was not teal green any more - it was completely brown and it was about 2pm with clear skys ad it was only 30F , but there was a lot of black ice and slush left on the road.

if its a hard freeze the night before expect temps to be in the 20's in the am.
just know if there is a chain advisory speed limit back there, its only 25mph.
Wow, thanks for the insight. I definitely did not get the impression the roads were in that type of condition from talking with the CHP, maybe it is wise to move this Ojai Drive back a month or two?

Regardless, lets figure out an alternative we can default to. That would leave us with Malibu as there is a ton of frost and ice up in GMR last I went. Please chime in guys, I am only throwing out places I know of.
SP Rays -- RE-11s -- SpecialtyZ Tune -- Swift Springs -- Stillen 25R Oil Cooler -- Stillen G3 Intakes -- Berk HFCs -- F.I. 12" CBE -- Stillen Sway Bars -- Es14 Spring -- INGS+1 lip -- CF Spoiler -- GTR Start Button -- VLED Parking Lights -- PWJDM V2 shift knob
christian370z is offline   Reply With Quote