View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #467 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissanboy View Post
So is there any negative effects of using that instead of the 5W30? I'm occasionally at 240 but not continually
Our engines have an ideal oil viscosity of around 10 cSt at 100C (212F), a W50 oil is going to be closer to 18 cSt at that temperature (and thicker at startup). By having the viscosity too high for too long you do risk not properly lubricating all the tight tolerance parts.

I'll run 5W30 on the street, it does fine for short bursts up to 240F. For track weekends I usually switch over to 5W50 or 15W50 where the oil is going to be in its prime.