View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkwang View Post
I'm bout to turn 24, and getting the 370z with the help of my parents financing it. I did feel confident about getting the car but since after telling my friends about it, some of them pointed out how its not a practical car to own. No backseats, very small truck space, and seats don't recline (for let's say napping or chilling with a girl in the car). Another point was how it's a nice car to look at and drive, but not own (probably for the reasons said). That got me shaken a bit, cause although 99% of the time I don't buy large purchases, or seat any more than 1 other person, there are times when I do. What if I buy something relatively big? It won't fit in the passenger seat cause it doesn't recline, there's no back seat to thrown it on, and the truck floor level to my surprise is unusually high that the trunk will have to be tied down with rope. I currently have an Integra, and there were times where the ability to recline the seats were very useful.

The other issue is guilt. Although my mother has a Lexus RX350, and my dad doesn't drive much anymore being that he works in the city and gave me his car. My mother is making a strong point that she doesn't like how I want stick shift cause she and my father know very well she physically cannot drive it since she has polio in her left leg and it's relatively weak, so the clutch will be a large hurdle. She just doesn't like the idea that shes financing car that she can't get a chance to drive, so I'm feeling like a selfish ****. But honestly, the 370 is just a car you can't have in automatic IMO. I'm a transporter for Nissan and had to drive 2 hours in a 370z auto, and as fun as it was, it didn't feel completely right.

I just want some opinions.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's condition. However, it sounds like she has ample transportation if/when needed. How often does she drive your Integra?

I think your friends are jealous. There have been a few times I wish I had a small truck back when I had a Trans Am, but I never put anything in my Trans Am that wouldn't fit in a 370Z, either.

A car is a car. You can't put a christmas tree in it. You can't haul a boat behind it. (Yes, I know, you can, but it's not the right tool for the job, really.)

My point is this: If you want to haul stuff around, get a truck. If you want a sports car, the Z is the cheapest new "true" sports car that you can get that performs as billed. As to reclining the seats with a girl in the car. Have some class, get a room or take her home, or if you're too broke/frugal to do either, bring a blanket and go to a scenic place. She would like that a lot more than the cramped interior of anything but a pervert van with a bed in the back.

Since your parents are financing, you are under-thumb with your Mom, there, but it seems like she has her own transportation, so I wouldn't feel bad about it. If your parents will finance it--do it. Just make sure that your name is on the paperwork as well so you can start establishing credit NOW for when YOU want to buy on your own.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote