View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
LinPark
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
LinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to LinPark Send a message via Skype™ to LinPark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
That bolt is just a spacer and is screwed into the rotor. It does not need to be removed or replaced, it is just there to prevent someone from installing a rear wheel on the front.

If it is not budging just try and get a little more aggressive with the rubber mallet. Spray some penetrating spray in between the hub and the rotor.

I worked on an old Ford a few years ago where the rotor had basically welded itself to the hub. I was hitting it with a 20lb sledge hammer (didn't care at that point) and there was no way it was coming off. I tried drilling and tapping the rotor and using bolts to try and push it off, no joy, they just snapped. In the end I had to remove the wheel hub from the spindle (another joy) and throw them both away together.

Yours isn't that old so a few good whacks should do it. Add some high temp anti-seize to the hub face for the new rotor.
I'm actually using this write-up to install H&R 15mm spacers on the front - both ModShack and wheee refer to it in their write-ups for spacer installs - that bolt now has me worried because the spacers won't go in with that piece still in place. Are guys just removing that thing completely when they install the new spacers?

I'll hit the rotor with the penetrating spray and let it sit overnight.

Thanks!
LinPark is offline   Reply With Quote