View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
a few years ago, the sunroof on my 3 series bmw stopped working so i brought it to the dealer to fix it.
wow. they charged more to fix it than the cost of a sunroof when buying a new bmw.
Exactly.

Coil-pack: $75 at any auto store
Price of coil-pack installed at BMW on a a 5-series: $200.XX (coffee and attractive/flirty receptionist included).

My roommate got rid of that car fast. BMW's, from what I hear, also have a lot of computer-related stuff that requires dealer-ship scanning/resetting that is proprietary. Right or not, I don't know, but I belive it.

If you can afford it, though, who cares? They are darn nice cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR370z View Post
I do ALL my car maintenance myself, I dont trust no one with my cars specially this one. I plan on gettiing the BMW DIS scanner to t/shoot and fix everything myself. Here in PR if you take this car for service at the dealer is like asking to get raped!
Very awesome. My ability stops at the simplicity of domestics, lol. I agree with you, though, it's best to do it yourself so you know it's done right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR370z View Post
Yep this car stock will run 12's, also the V10 engine on this car has won numerous awards for being the best engine in the 4+ liter category.
I think it's very sad that they are getting rid of that engine and the V8 in the M3. You're right, it is one of BMW's real home-runs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmyride View Post
BMW owners don't complain about owning a BMW. They complain about not being able to afford the service and maintenance costs.

Are you ready to spent 15k on a new engine or 5-7k on transmission? Or 1-3k for any electrical problems? That's the price quote for M 5 .
Wow. That's honestly not expensive at all considering the cost of the car. It's right in-line with everything else on the market. A well-optioned new M5 is very near the 6-figure mark, and 20% of the car's value being the driveline is actually very low. With a 370Z, the driveline is worth near 30% of the car. With the Z06, it's 25-30%. Sounds like the M5 is more in-line with things than I thought. However, it is the RUITINE things that will get the average owner who isn't prepaired for them. A sensor here, there, etc. Paper-cut costs on a BMW add up fast. That is why BMW offers the maintenance package. They know this, and they know people are starting to know this as well. They were losing buyers due to poor Consumer reliability reports and the fear of those costs.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 12-31-2010 at 05:40 PM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote