View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #43 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj45 View Post
I do miss it sometimes, but the car is kind of a waste if its mostly driven around average populated areas...it's just too fast. The big power and long gears prevent getting on it unless you're in a desolate area. Traction in first gear (good for 60 mph) is almost zero below 70 degrees (it just instantly blows out the tires) and second gear tops out at nearly 90 mph. Third gear's good for 125 mph.

If you like running up through the gears, you better have the right place to do it. For example...you get on it in second gear and shift to third for a moment - you're doing 100+ mph. Fun, yes...but a bit fast for those 45 mph speed limit roads. Some owners actually prefer the C5 Z06's less power and shorter gearing because you can run it up through the gears a bit without going 120 mph, plus the shorter gears feel snappier. Modified C6 rears with different ratios are available for the C6 Z06, which livens up the car nicely, but the already limited traction is made even worse. Most stay with the factory rear (3:42, IIRC).

Otherwise, the Z06 is a nice car. It drives well, handles well (though it's a little tail happy) and rides pretty well. Sounds pretty nice, too. Yeah, the convertibles are significantly less rigid, so I wouldn't use that experience for judging the Z06. The Z's chassis is decently rigid, just not exceptionally so.
Gotcha. Pretty impartial review, there. I appreciate it! I know what you mean about winding out the gears. My Trans Am wasn't that fast, but the gears were sorta tall. 3rd gear was over 100mph by a touch. You could get in trouble pretty fast regarding speed-limits.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote