View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
SharpByCoop
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '08 G37S - Graphite
SharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of light
Default Progress report

Hector has been working carefully on the TT install, and is making good progress. He is a careful tech and on something new, he will ponder rather than rush. I agree.

He's got the entire exhaust off, the new manifolds on, and the turbos fitted.

Here he's drilled and has fitted the crucial oil return line fittings:

He's done even more stuff, but I was too busy myself over in the trans dept. to pay closer attention.

This week is a vacation week for me from my OTHER two jobs (Coach/maintenance in a rowing club, and a photographer) so I had time to ponder myself. Jimmy is ALWAYS busy as the shop owner, and lets me do whatever I need if I am capable.

In this regard, I decided to tackle the Trans-Go 5-speed shift kit on my own. I was a career mechanic for fifteen years as a M/C tech, so this actually looked like fun. I brought a table, my tools, some cardboard, and a LOT of patience.

Here's the trans on the stand.

Pan off, valve body exposed.

The provided instructions were VERY supportive and clear. But, you had to really pay attention to the order of the steps and NOT mix up all the bolts. An old trick I used to use was a simple piece of cardboard with the holes template punched in it with a screwdriver.

This keeps things in order and verifies the reassembly.

Here's the unit on the bench. There are a ton of little filters and balls and springs which can get away, if you move too fast.

Once down, I replaced (3) plungers, and added (9) extra springs. Then they give you a selection of incremental drills with a diagram of which holes to enlarge on the valve body separator plate. Don't bungle this!

Here is what was left after the NEW parts were installed:

Reassembly was in reverse order, but paying even closer attention and careful placements.

Start-finish it took me about 5 hours. I am sure I took at least two+ hours longer than a confident trans tech would have. I had no glitches in the process, and made sure everything was spotless and washed out. I'm proud of my work and can say with confidence it's done as they ask.

I saved them a bunch of time, and ME a bunch of money. Of course I am now liable. He he he!

Anyway, I promised a build thread and you're getting it.

Coop