View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
SoCal 370Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Z View Post
I use an oil extractor (vacuum pump with container). A tube is inserted in the oil dip stick; pump to create a vacuum; and the hot oil is drained in the container. Next, I drain any remaining oil via the oil filter. I don't know the brand of the oil extractor since I purchased it several years ago. This method avoids getting in contact with hot oil and minimizes spills. The oil extractor is available at most boat supply stores (West Marine, E& B Marine,etc.)

I place my old oil drain container under the oil filter. I can reach the oil filter from the front of a 350Z without jacking up the car. I do remove the engine undertray pan for inspection purposes. Typically, this method take me less than one hour including a test drive and re-inspecting for oil leaks.
Great to know as I too use an oil extractor. Also, good to learn that you can leave the 370Z off any ramps to change the oil as I usually undo the oil pan drain plug to get out any residual oil that might be left and to change the washer.