View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #70 (permalink)
christian370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 370Z/Saab 900se
christian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swift Springs Review

These springs are supposedly the best performance springs available and yet have been reported to ride more comfortably than the stock springs while being called "junior coil overs." I had a hard time believing this initially, but they were worth every penny.

Quality of the Springs: I was honestly a bit disappointed that the springs came powder coated black rather than the beautiful metallic blue color that is advertised on their website but the coat is even and looks very durable. Compared to the stock springs, these look very beefy and much more substantial which I thought was a plus.

Lowering Observations: The kit is supposed to lower the car 1" in the rear and 1.2" in the front to give the car a nice, slightly more aggressive pose. Once the car was settled off the lift and received an alignment, the ride height was already at the marketed drop so I expect it to go a little lower as the springs settle. The drop is very even front and rear and is the perfect look in my opinion: not too low but not too conservative.

Driving Impressions: this was what interested me the most, I had a hard time understanding how this spring can perform so much better (increased spring rate) but be more comfortable than stock. It depends on your definition of comfortable, but it did improve ride quality in a few areas: large freeway bumps, undulations and overpass rises felt much better as the car just felt more planted and settled during and after the undulations. It also had less of a bounding motion. That said, the ride is firmer and was immediately noticeable as soon as I hit the road. It is not a harsh firmness, but it feels much more positive and controlled which is exactly what I was looking for.

I took it through Malibu canyon roads such as Mulholland on my way back from the shop and the car felt PERFECT. There was no noticeable body roll, and steering response as well as turn in felt much more precise and direct. The car was balanced perfectly between the Stillen sway bar set to the firmest setting in the rear and the spring rates, there was no hint of understeer and I felt like I could finally effectively control the car using throttle. Mid corner bumps did not unsettle the car or give a lurching sensation like the stock springs did and it felt suitably firm at higher speeds which kept the car feeling planted.

All in all, I am very very happy with these springs. Here are a whole bunch of pictures in case anyone is interested, both before and after.

Before:

On the lift:

Comparing the stock springs to the Swifts, check out the difference!

And lowered, all around shots: (sorry the car is a bit dirty)

A week after the install, mostly settled:

How it sits right now a few weeks on after a couple hundred miles: total drop I measured is 1.3" in the front and 1.1" in the rear.

Before from similar vantage point:

A big thanks to Seb at SpecialtyZ for doing a great job on the install at a fantastic rate.
SP Rays -- RE-11s -- SpecialtyZ Tune -- Swift Springs -- Stillen 25R Oil Cooler -- Stillen G3 Intakes -- Berk HFCs -- F.I. 12" CBE -- Stillen Sway Bars -- Es14 Spring -- INGS+1 lip -- CF Spoiler -- GTR Start Button -- VLED Parking Lights -- PWJDM V2 shift knob
christian370z is offline   Reply With Quote