View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #106 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf370z View Post
So you're not looking to get a 370z at all? In all seriousness, I'm curious why you're on here? I mean it's fine and nice to have more knowledgeable people on the forum (based on your pasts posts) but what brings ya here?

I was strongly considering a 370Z a while back, but decided against it. I stayed because the forums are lively and in general populated by agreeable people. Lots of "car" enthusiasts here.

I am going to contest your claim that the '11 GT is a direct competitor. First, of all the '11 Mustang GT is NOT a sports car, the 370z is. In fact, there is no reason why these two cars would even be cross-shopped unless you're looking at a particular price range for cars that boast performance. If you're looking for a sports car you're not looking at a Mustang. If you're looking at a muscle car you're not looking at a 370z. Just saying.

Why isn't it? Because it has 4-seats? So does the GTR. Also, the BOSS has a rear-seat delete option from the factory, making it a 2-seater if you still want to contest the point. Also, it will pull 1+G on the skidpad, and has 47/53 weight distribution, or near, from what I remember. The only reason anyone would say it is not a sports car is because TRADITIONALLY, it was a pony car. However, in BOSS form, I think it every bit a sports car, and if you want to stretch the definition a bit, in GT form as well. It will do anything the 370Z will do.

However, you're correct. If you're looking for a pure performance vehicle the Mustang GT is significantly faster in just about everything, even for a *gasp* muscle car is still edges the 370z on a track (on a tighter, more technical course the gap is significantly shorter) due to it's power advantage. Also, despite it being a SRA setup, the Mustang GT actually handles impeccably well and it's a pretty good driver car.

Now, looks wise, you cannot really compare although I will say I've gotten quite a few stares and compliments on how it looks. The problem that you'll find with the Mustang is, unless you've got an exhaust that deafens everyone in a three or four block radius, the car doesn't stand out like the 370z does.

All in all though, performance stats aside, the Mustang GT and 370z, when looked at rationally, a logical deduction concludes that cross-shopping them makes little sense unless you're simply looking for the fastest car under $40k.

Which again, makes me believe, that Nissan won't do anything performance changing for quite a few years to come.
I prefer the looks of the Z over the GT myself, personally. I don't think there is anything wrong about cross-shopping the GT and the Z. They do the same things, only the looks and way they go about getting them done differ. That is stylistic.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote