View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #4187 (permalink)
frost
Retired admin

Drives: Your Wife Crazy
frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost

Question:
I have tiny rust colored spots on my brand new white car?
Could it really be rust? If so, does that mean I have a really crappy paint job? It's a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe and it's white. The spots are very small and barely noticeable but of course I noticed them today when I washed it. I have had the car for about 9 days now. Should I take it to the dealer?

Answer:
what it is is a thing called industrial fallout. what it is is contaminates in the air get into the paint of new vehicles, along with rust falling off of the trasport trucks. they should have "bricked" this car while detailing it before you drove it off the lot. thats the 350 buck "prep fee" that you pay. they wash and brick the car, take all the protective plastic off, ect. what i would do is take it back to the dealer. especialy if you have only had it for a lil over a week. they should re-detail it for free since they are supposed to make sure all the fallout is off your car. if for some reason they DONT, do not panic. its not realy a big deal. go to the parts store and look for the clay bars. meguiares makes a good product. they come with a clay bar and some quick detail wax. what you want to do is wash your car, leave it wet and go around and generously spary the wax on an area. working one area at a time go over it with the clay bar. full instructions are included with the kit but that pretty much wraps it up. after you "brick" the entire car, rinse and re-wash. then shammy dry. try avioding doing it in direct sunlight though. if you must make sure you work quickly and rinse each body panel off after you clay bar it. this is all asuming that the dealer dont take care of it, which they should.