View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #93 (permalink)
FricFrac
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 300ZX 280ZX 240
FricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to FricFrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCuomo View Post
Sorry, but this just doesn't fly. When Ford (or GM, or Chrysler) takes one of their trucks, modifies it for off-road use, and supplies it to a truck mag to try out for a few days and then (hopefully) publish a favorable review of what the truck is capable of (which they've done countless times), Ford is not saying that they will provide full warranty coverage to you if you make those same mods to your Ford truck and then use it off-road. That's the way it's always been - and Nissan is just protecting themselves like all of the other manufacturers do.

It's not BS and it's not false advertising. The car does live up to expectations - if you want to track your 370Z, put the oil cooler on it (just like the cars in the magazine reviews) and the temp problem is solved. But you might (most likely will) have to deal with warranty coverage issues. That's a trade-off and decision that you have to make, just like all of the off-road guys do. Or just like anyone else does who modifies their under-warranty vehicle...

Look, there's no doubt that, from a public relations point of view, Nissan should have handled this better. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that any of you guys who are tracking the car, and are seeing the oil temp problem while tracking the car, have a prayer legally. Just MHO...

Now, you guys who are having temp problems under normal street-driving conditions... well, that's a whole different ball game.

ChrisSlicks - I'm not trying to single you out by quoting you above; it's just that what you wrote nicely summarizes what a number of the "track" guys have been saying...
Unless I'm missing something that is a completely different story. None of the article I read mention anything about the oil cooler or that the mod had been performed. On the other hand the modified off-road truck is completely changed from stock and has had some serious modifications. The point being that the oil cooler mod was hidden whereas the monster truck modified lists all the mods done in the article. Two totaly different situations and not comparable.

This also isn't a performance mod that stresses the engine. Even if the car isn't tracked the oil cooler is benificial not only in keeping the temperature reasonable in heavy traffic, etc but also by increasing the oil capacity which dilutes contamination in the system.

I suspect Nissan is concerned about extensive agressive use of the engine. Agressive use will result in safety mode and prevent extensive agressive use however with the oil cooler agressive use can continue indefinately and the results are unknown. This is a new motor again from the 3.5l and the VVEL is really unproven still so I can understand their concerns. Regardless if this inference is true the fact remains that they were dishonest buy not disclaiming the use of the oil cooler in media vehicles. It was only discovered by accident and IIRC it was hidden in the wheel wells... but dont quote me on that ;P
FricFrac is offline   Reply With Quote