View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
VQinside
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z
VQinside is on a distinguished road
Default I'm making my own Lip Spoiler

I know this may sound ghetto but let me introduce myself to explain that's really not.

I'm an Industrial Designer and I have been taking designs for different projects all the way to the market for over 6 years now.
In my line of work I've travel to China many times and I've made great connections with various companies that create prototypes or do manufacturing.

I Love the Z but I'm not a fan of the bottom portion of the bumper. I've researched many lip spoiler option and so far there isn't anything out there that satisfies my visual needs. I'd say the Fujimura is the closest but still not really what I want.

The idea is to create something that looks like it belongs on the car and that is not trying to be the focal point like every other lip out there.
This is a very quick photoshop of my intended design.

With that been said this is my plan:

-I will first have my front bumper 3D scanned. I will then use 3D software to design the part that I want around the scanned data.

-The actual Lip spoiler will be made with a CNC machine. At this point I will make it out of ABS plastic to test fit it. I'm hoping the last piece will be made out of Nylon material. I'm trying to use Polyurethane for the final piece but will have to see.

-Paint will be the final stage.

I'm not intending to mass produce to sell, this is more of a personal poject.
I might change my mind later

keep in mind this will take me a few months specially because I'm in China right now.
You guys let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by VQinside; 12-22-2010 at 02:24 AM.
VQinside is offline   Reply With Quote