View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #58 (permalink)
OKC370Z
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Grey
OKC370Z is on a distinguished road
Default Followup with R8 tune for A7 car

Well early on in this thread I posted my opinion on the R6 tune. I have had the R8 tune for sometime now but just have not had enough seat time until recently to give any feedback.

Well here goes; The first thing I noticed was that the tip-in knock that I was experiencing was gone. The power is down a bit below 3K rpm and I presume it's because they removed timing down low to eliminate the tip-in knock.

There does seem to be more power in the mid to upper rpm range though like I said some of the initial down low the power is down from the R6 to the R8 tune.

Shifting is firmer particularly at moderate to full throttle compared to the R6 tune. I have noticed that the R8 tune is a bit more sensitive to throttle input and will sometimes shift too early with a slight let up of the throttle and then when you get back into the throttle there is a hesitation before gearing down and going. Now that I'm familiar with it I can somewhat control it.

As for the hot start that I was experiencing with the R6 it is still there with the R8 tune but is now happening more often. With the R6 tune it was once in a while, with the R8 tune it is more common whenever I am driving for an extended period of time and the engine is good and heat soaked, even on a day where the temps are in the 40's. It's like the motor is getting too much fuel on start up and it requires throttle to start or else it will just turn over and not start. Obviously to rich on start-up requiring throttle opening to get more air when ever the motor is good and hot.

So that's it in a nut shell, some improvements but not quite there yet. My preference would be to have the added power from the R8 tune with the drivability and smoothness of the R6 tune. Plus fix the hot start issue and I'll be 100% satisfied.
OKC370Z is offline   Reply With Quote