View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #73 (permalink)
AutoX Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z Base, Sport
AutoX Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCuomo View Post
For you guys with temp problems but are not tracking or hard-driving the car, I can't help but think that there's something else going on here (like a defective oil pump). I've never had my Z's oil temp go above 220 - and that was in stop and go driving, followed by pushing the car up to over 80mph on the interstate (and after 15 minutes or so of 80+mph, the temp dropped down to around 205).

I see two issues in this whole thing:

1) There really does seem to be an oil temp issue in *some* 370Z's - Nissan should be trying earnestly to figure this out; and

2) There's no reason to void warranties just because someone installs one, nor can Nissan legally (and, it appears here, arbitrarily) declare that they will not honor warranties on vehicles with an oil cooler installed - the burden is on Nissan to prove that the oil cooler caused a problem that the owner is trying to have repaired under warranty.
I'm with you on this one. While the oil temp issue seems to be relatively widespread I've yet to see any temperatures over 220* in almost 1500 miles of driving. That includes sitting in Houston rush hour traffic on 90+ days, accelerating up to 70+ and then back to stationary with no time for cooling air flow in between. I don't doubt that if I tracked the car I could get it to overheat but for those people that are "overheating" (car isn't even going into limp mode) in daily driving conditions, there might be something else in play.

And I'm also not at all surprised that Nissan is making this claim of denying warranties if they find an aftermarket cooler installed. Any aftermarket modification not authorized by Nissan is grounds for voiding warranties, it's written right into the paper work, and I don't see why oil coolers should be any different.
AutoX Z is offline   Reply With Quote