View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #225 (permalink)
Totus44
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z Bk M6
Totus44 is on a distinguished road

Just an update since this is still an active thread, after having my oil consumption issue diagnosed by my Nissan dealer, they replaced the short block (that didn't work) and so they replaced the long block (along with another short block...the entire engine) at 15K. Just passed 20K on my '09 and it's running beautifully!

Seems we still have some confusion around here. Let me try to clarify. the '09s had an oil consumption issue related to the seals not properly setting upon break-in. Oil consumption was in fact oil escape into the exhaust system. Nissan still won't say the volume they measure, I'm sure it's designed that way so you go to the dealer for servicing. There seem to be a lot of folks here that change their own oil and thus have no idea if there consumption rate is normal or if they too have the seal issue. If you are changing your own oil and not servicing with your Nissan dealer than there really isn't anything anybody can really tell you. Your oil consumption is going to be a product of the amount of heat you put your engine through. Where you drive, how you drive and distance/duration are all going to contribute. For some 1 quart per 5K may be fine, for others that track their car the distance will be much less.
Totus44 is offline   Reply With Quote