View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #51 (permalink)
Phimosis
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2013 911 4S
Phimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
Phimosis, I think you need to take into account that you're running HFCs. Point being, I don't think it'd have sounded as raspy if you had the Stillen cat-back hooked up to stock cats, and then removed the rear section. That being said, I don't think it sounded all that bad. Giving you some rep for doing this little experiment, btw.
Thanks!

I had an 84 Mustang with no cats. when I installed the headers I ran it around the neighborhood with open exhaust. Sounded like a dragster. Pretty cool. I had a '98 4V Mustang Cobra with Kenne Belle supercharger. Ran it with HFC's and open exhaust. Sounded really mean. Way too loud, but awesome sound. With Borla exhaust on it, it was sweet street ride. Point being, I've had experience with other cars with low backpressure exhaust and have it sound great.

I like the Stillen exhaust when it's all attached.... just a little quieter than what I like. I like a more racey sound. With that rear section off though, the sound is god awful. The camera microphone just doesnt quite catch how raspy and harsh the sound is. It's literally like someone is blowing a trombone right into you ears. It has so much BLAT, BLAT, BLAT that it reminds me of these guys that have 40's and 50's pickups with flat head V8's and 1.5" straight pipe coming from the headers with no Y pipe or H pipe to equal the pulses. I think a much racier sound can be found without the harsh acoustic qualities. One last thing is that there is no "cackle" on decel with the Stillen exhaust, but it does do it with the stock exhaust with rear section removed. It makes the stock exhaust with rear section removed very sexy sounding.
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote