View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #49 (permalink)
khtso
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z
khtso is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
This is the scary gray area. I totally understand that if I install an aftermarket cooler, and it blows an oil line, loses pressure, and destroys the engine before I notice and shut it down, that's not a warranty repair for Nissan. What I'm afraid of is when I install an oil cooler, and something goes wrong with my VVEL 10K miles later due to a factory defect that has nothing to do with oil temps, and they deny the claim because an oil cooler was attached to the engine.
Now that could be a potential legal claim. It would, however, be an uphill battle. If you install oil cooler and engine fails and they won't honor your warranty, you can then make a claim against them to get them to fix it. You would, however, have to prove that the oil cooler did not cause the problem. Nissan obviously has a billion lawyers and engineers and experts that they would put up there to state that yes, of course it was the oil cooler that caused all your problems. Then again, with a company that size they'll offer a settlement by fixing your car, but have some sort of non-disclosure agreement in place. Either way, unless and until there is some measurable harm to you, there's no point in threatening to sue.

Let's all sign petitions and mail them to Nissan. In addition, get everyone on the messageboard who have had issues both on the track and off, along with any definitive statements (in writing) made my Nissan, and mail them off to every Auto reviewer in the country.
khtso is offline   Reply With Quote