View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
serturbo
Base Member

Drives: 10 370Z Sport
serturbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessobear View Post
I did not need to remove the steering rack to do the install. A proper swivel socket and a LONG extension was all that was needed to get the upper outboard bolt loose.
I'm guessing it was written up a certain way because they assumed the use of everyday hand tools. Not everyone has swivel sockets or really long extensions. They probably also assumed that anyone with those tools would be smart enough to shortcut the install like you did.

Quote:
The instructions say to reuse the copper 3-bolt gasket between the manifold and the catalytic converter. My car did not have a gasket there at all. I'm not sure if this is a difference between '09 and '10?
OEM copper crush washer should have been included with the hardware.
This would increase the cost of the product and not everyone needs it. If you really needed one, you could order one thru your local dealership.

Quote:
The way that the HFC seals to the manifold.

The stock design for this is very good and I can't understand why it wasn't duplicated? Basically, the stock piece has a small bit of vertical pipe that sticks up above the flange. Around that is a conical copper crush gasket. The inside of the manifold has a reverse cone and the pipe extension/crush gasket fits nicely inside of that. Not only does that align things properly, it makes for a very good seal.

The Fast Intentions part simply has a flat flange and attempts to seal the whole works with high temp silicone. This is not a great solution. The high temp silicone is rated only to go intermittently to 650F, a temperature that we know exhaust manifolds will exceed.
I'm guessing the OEM type flanges aren't readily available. When installing the a custom exhaust on my Pathfinder, my local installer was forced to cutoff and reuse the OEM flanges. Many customers are running their cars per FI instructions without incident. FI seems to be a great company with awesome products and an even better reputation among the 370Z crowd. I'm sure they feel confident that their product will last if installed as per instructions.
serturbo is offline   Reply With Quote