View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #2472 (permalink)
Phimosis
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2013 911 4S
Phimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toner123 View Post
Thank you for answering. So it is safe to say that yes your car was tunned by stillan but was custom tuned. I am trying to understand then why you are running rich. I though normally rich was a common thing to see on canned tunes because it is safer and less chance of error.
Frank
I don't have time to review it now, but my dyno graphs from early july in this thread show something like 10.2:1 to redline. That is rich. Rich mix gives quench effect, lowering cylinder temperatures and preventing pitting of pistons. Rich also is less likely to detonate because it takes more energy to light the mix.

On the flip side, with stock cats back on it, it's not eye watering from exhaust fumes anymore, even though the A/F ratio is the same. I've never owned hi-flow cats before, but now I 'get it'. Stock cats have like 2" diameter inlet/outlet and 10 pounds of catalyst material in them. The hi-flow cats have like 2 1/4" diameter with 2 pounds of catalyst in them. The "hi-flow" part is more that there's not really much catalyst in them rather than being a better design with less resistance, but same catalytic efficiency.
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote