View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #39 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
too lazy to read the entire thread but have you determined which corner the noise is coming from?

do you have any knowledge or have worked on a car? if so, start removing bits to find the root cause. here's where i would start on rattles.

listen for which part of the car the noise is coming from. Is it the front or rear?

unlink one of the endlink (dont need to remove) front or rear and see if that eliminates the noise.

if not, link the endlink, remove the strut or shock and replace using stock bits. dont worry about the alignment for now.

if you determine it's the shock or strut, use the stock mounts on the aftermarket strut/shock and see if the noise comes back.

if it doesn't then it's your mounts.

if it does, then it's your stock/strut. get it replaced.

finished.
its most certainly the right rear.i guess i will try that trial and error approach. Unfortunately, thats going to take me such a long time to do in my garage. i have some knowledge and have worked onmy car before, and i mostly learn by doing and reading , and i've never DONE suspension so i guess it will be a learning experience.

my mental issue right now is, if it was something install related, i can see no reason why the install shop would spend an hour checking everything and NOT fix it. furthermore, if it were install related, it would have presented itself immediately, or very soon after, not after 2 weeks.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote