View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
phelan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Scoobaroo
phelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond reputephelan has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, while people are at it, chip in a few bucks to me, and I can provide counterpoint to CBRich! I have both, and my 360 is battle-tested, guaranteed to not rrod! (pffffft.) Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into a x360 vs. ps3 shootout like all the other blogs are...but!

Devil Z:
-Sure GT5 has 800/1000 cars, but you have to filter down the models of each car. I remember reading and thinking, "WOW SO MANY CARS!" only to find I could choose one out of like 200 Nissan Skyline (TRIM LEVEL HERE). Also, while it IS amusing to drive around in a little Fiat Panda or equivalent Euro-box car with 90 hp, I hardly buy racing games for that. Having trucks available for racing is questionable as well (although if they let you drive OVER the competition, I might reconsider ).

-GT5 wins in the visual department, sure, I'll take it. But to me, gameplay is still in the Forza world, mostly for its better tuning capability. The cars actually responded differently, instead of all feeling like boats. At least they started with damage physics, too. GT has taken 5 iterations to get that little show going? Seriously, what the hell Polyphony?

-It's nice to have a bajillion ways to race, but the scope of the game is now ridiculous. WRC, Drift, NASCAR, and the typical GT race? That's basically four games in one! Yes, the common thought is "Yay four games for the price of one!" But development-wise, the scope creep is ridiculous. I will be surprised if they are able to make their targeted release date next year. Hopefully GT5 isn't the next DNF...If they do manage to pull this off, though, congrats, best race game ever in a nanosecond.

-I will say that the PS3 has the Logitech G25 controller, which is hands down the best piece of gaming hardware I have ever seen for racing sims. The Xbox equivalents look like rubbish in comparison :/
phelan is offline   Reply With Quote