Thread: Regular Gas?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #42 (permalink)
g96818
Track Member

Drives: 2009 370Z, 2012 M56
g96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond reputeg96818 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lww View Post
All higher octane gas lets you do is advance the timing which can increase the torque generated by starting the combustion process earlier on the compression stroke without detonation.
are you high? if i'm reading this right, u're saying to ignite the fuel before TDC so that force will be applied to the piston head in the opposite direction of travel

if that's what u mean then just use low quality gas so the fuel mixture detonates prior to TDC. u want to ignite the fuel right after TDC as the piston moves back down to get the maximum amount of force applied, the high octane fuel allows you to achieve that high compression ratio at TDC without self detonation.

now idk how this new system works, but i'm figuring that if it does adjust then all it's doing is igniting the fuel mixture prior to detonation, since a control ignition is safer than a uncontroled explosion. since it ignites prior to TDC, the force is pushing against the piston, which would naturally decrease the output.

are u familiar with PV=nRT? V, n, and R are constants so as pressure increases in the cylinder, temp increases also. Low octane ignites at lower pressure/compression and high octane ignites at a higher pressure/compresion. actually V is a variable, but if we take it at TDC, it's a constant.

if i remember correctly, regular is used for compression < 8.5psi, 8.5 < plus < 10, 10 < premium < 12 or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lww View Post
Essentially, there's no additional energy available in the air/fuel mixture, it's simply how it's being used that results in the generation of more power.
agreed