View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #596 (permalink)
tranceformer
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2009 370Z PW 6MT
tranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond reputetranceformer has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just got back from ZDAYZ the other day. I made sure to closely watch my oil temp gauge whenever I could. I've had the car for about 3 months now so I've got a good idea of how it behaves now.

Typical city/highway driving here in NJ:

amb temp: 70's usually (lately)
daytime: 210*F to 220*F
night time: usually 10*F cooler

"Somewhat aggressive" driving at ZDAYZ (excluding the dragon):

Note: mostly 3rd gear, using midrange RPM's usually from 40mph to 70mph, sometimes to redline
amb temp: 80's and higher
daytime: 240*F to 250*F
nightime: didn't have the balls or sobriety to do night time driving

I knew that limp mode would start cutting in around 260*F. There was a few cases when I got above 250*F, usually would end up shifting up a gear to let her cool off, and/or getting stuck behind a slower car. I actually got a picture of the gauge at 260*F but that was during a steep incline in 2nd gear, using the upper RPM's to keep up with my friend ahead of me. We tried to datalog some oil temp #'s on my friend's 07 350z for comparison during that same run but cipher didn't save for some reason.

I don't think I really drove the car that hard, I consider myself a noob when it comes to this kind of driving. There aren't many nearby places in NJ like the roads at ZDAYZ so I'm not terribly upset with the high oil temperatures. In most cases, my oil temp would only get close to 260*F during highway shenanigan's with other cars.

With that said, I'm waiting for Nissan to release an oil cooler that isn't too pricey and keeps the factory warranty. Nismo S-tune, please?