View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Scribe
Base Member

Drives: Touring-Sport-Manual
Scribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond reputeScribe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imag View Post
I don't believe skip shifting was really the problem. That was just a line from your dealer or Nissan and it doesn't make sense with how a transmission works. If anything, skip shifting, done properly, *saves* wear (which I assume is why you were doing it).
No, actually that is not how it works. The syncros were putting in a lot of overtime to keep up with matching the input shaft speed. They simply wore out from the abuse, which they were not designed to take. You can have the same issue in just about any car you do this in. While I'll admit it happened rather quickly on my Z, it was not completely unexpected nor unexplainable.
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote