View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #119 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Is my theory correct that the problem is rescaled load values lead to excessive gear hunting, and eventual failure? Or was it something similar like a need to change the firmness of shifts?

If so, then yes, this issue can be avoided with tuning rather than upgrading hard parts in the trans.

Although a bigger trans fluid cooler is probably a good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTCH View Post
I've heard of tuning ECUs etc. But can someone please explain what tranny tuning is? Thanks.
ECU tuning involves adjusting shift up and shift down points (based on calculated load and probably TPS) as well as shift firmness due to the rate line pressure is allowed to build -- both can be controlled by the ECU to the best of my knowledge.

Mechanical tuning could involve anything from retooling components in the torque converter to spin faster, rasing the stall speed, changing the clutch bands, adjusting the valve body, changing out the solenoid that control line pressure, etc.

That said, I think they were referring to changes in the ECU.

Last edited by Jordo!; 12-03-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote