View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #51 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsZ View Post
Actually, Jordo I need to call Proven Power to give you permission. You will see my initial bone stock runs vs. the pop chargers. I actually made gains - between 3 to peak of 7 HP through out the curve. Note, however this was my first of any engine mods. Also, note that I did not have any heat soak period .. so in actuality my gains make sense.

Do you know off hand if my JWT Pop Chargers have a wider circumference compared to the stock tube?
No clue. OEM inside diameter is about 57 mm or ~2.25 inches

I just spoke to a good friend of mine who tunes Z's and he said (1) The OEM MAF sensors are good to about 600 whp and (2) apparently these sensors are versy sensitive to airflow tumble effects. Thus changing the shape or orientation of anything in front of the MAF sensors will cause misreads, resulting in running either overly rich or lean

So... that is most likely the problem.

In theory with further experimentation I might find something that works, but instead I'm just going to be happy with my current set up as is (for reasons I expand on below...). Glad I experimented, but not interested in continuing the project.

If someone else wants to play around with it, I have the OEM intake MAFS tubes for sale -- perfect for a custom intake project FS: OEM MAFS tubes

The gain of 3 - 7 whp from the pop chargers is on par with the panel filters, and based on the dynos I've seen of other folks, on par with every other intake (double digit claims never seem to pan out unless it is the only modification for whatever reason).

You'd think more could be achieved, but I guess a combination of underhood heat and orientation problems make improving significantly on the factory airboxes more challenging than one might expect.

Yeah, man, if you could ask Darrell to share them with me, that'd be much appreciated. I like data

Last edited by Jordo!; 12-04-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote